Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is:



TOP TEN BOOKS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE STEPHENIE MEYER

So, Twilight is actually the book that started all my book craziness again.  I had read Harry Potter and Anne Rice and some other books here and there as an adult, but I certainly wasn’t reading the way I did in say, middle school.  As a child, my mom used to take my books away and make me go outside and play because I spent all my time with my nose in a book.  But somewhere along the line, I stopped reading like that.  Until Twilight.  So, I have Stephenie Meyer to thank for my current book addiction, my Master’s in Library Science and this blog. ::raises a glass of Vampire wine to SM:: This is my homage to you, homegirl!

Now, when I think of Stephenie Meyer’s work, I think of books that have some action, a large dose of romance, a bit of paranormal, but not too heavy.   So that is what I’m going to recommend here:

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

I loved, loved, loved this book.  In fact, I loved it so much that I’m afraid to read the next 2 books.  That sounds strange, but hear me out.  I may have loved this book almost as much as I loved Twilight.  But I am so totally Team Ren and I don’t think that’s the direction that Andrea Cremer is going with this series.  So I’m afraid that I will have total heartfail at the end of the last book if it doesn’t go my way.  I may be happier sitting in my own ignorance of the rest of the story.  If I am wrong here, someone PLEASE tell me because as much as I want to know what happens next, I’m afraid!  And I finally feel sympathy for Team Jacob.




  Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

This book is just dreamy!  In fact, Tucker Avery is the only human being that can give Edward Cullen a run for his money, in my opinion.  This book is about angels, not vamps and weres, but it has all the elements of Twilight:  some big action, some cool paranormal stuff and a love triangle romance that will leave you breathless!  And it has Tucker Avery.......::sighs::






The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

Cassandra Clare, I love you, woman!  You saved me from my Twilight book funk and I will never forget that!  I will forever be indebted to you!

City of Bones is the first book I read after Twilight that made me feel like I could keep reading other books and find other characters to fall in love with.  Jace Wayland--what a guy!  He’s bad on the outside, as well as hot, but he has a heart of gold!  This series just keeps getting better and better!  It has forbidden romance, all sorts of supernatural creatures, a bit of mythology and folklore and plenty of action.  Cassandra Clare doesn’t get the hype that SM got, but she should.  I think her fanbase just keeps growing quietly and I’m really hoping that the film version of this series is going to pan out.







The Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz

You may have noticed that this is the only other vampire series on this list, even though Twilight is “vampire” novel.  I have just found that many of the vampire series fall short.  They are hokey and overdone or they stretch on forever without end.  I just didn’t like any of the vamp books I was reading until I found this one.  Now, I purposely stayed away from this one because of the whole “rich society people are vampires” premise.  I thought it was going to be Sex and the City goes bloodsucker.  But, people, it is NOT!!  This book series has fabulous world-building and some kick-butt characters.  Melissa de la Cruz has built a whole vampire mythology that rivals Anne Rice’s vamp mythology and she does it while keeping half of her characters in Jimmy Choos!  This series is magnifique!






Need series by Carrie Jones
This is a faerie series and I think it’s one of the best ones.  The pixies are a great mix of evil and good and the shape changer characters are fun.  My favorite part, though, is how Carrie Jones mixes in Norse mythology with the whole story.  I love it when authors can take real things and mix them into their book world.




Fallen series by Lauren Kate

This is another angel series.  I like this one better than the Hush, Hush series, although I think I’m in the minority with that.  I like it that Lauren Kate took her time building the relationship in the first book and I think that the characters are so three-dimensional.  I loved the third book in the series which went back into the past lives of the characters.  I don’t think many people enjoyed that book but I thought it was phenomenal and really helped to flesh out the story.   This book also manages to weave in some “real” mythology with the author’s world.






A Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray

This series is so different from Libba Bray’s other work!  If you are expecting the sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek story of Beauty Queens, you are in for quite a surprise!  This is a supernatural story set in Victorian England.  It is mysterious, haunting and at times, downright scary.










Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Annette Curtis Klause, if you are out there and listening, please, please, please write a sequel to this book!  I would give you my children in exchange for it!  Please!

This is the book that made me realize I could love werewolves too.  This book has a werewolf girl who falls for a human, just like Twilight, but wow!  Are the werewolves sexy!  This book is so good!  It’s too bad that it was written way before Twilight, because I don’t think it gets the love it deserves.  But a warning!  Don’t watch the movie for this book.  The only thing the filmmakers kept was the title!  The plot of the movie is completely different from the book.  They should be arrested for creating the travesty that is the movie version.



Tantalize series by Cynthia Leitich Smith

I never thought that I would recommend this series to anyone, but then I read the last 2 books and holy vampires and werewolves!  They were great!  The first two books are really not spectacular, but they build the world and the story so that the last two books can come along and knock your socks off!  It’s sort of like Harry Potter--I never go back to re-read the first book because it just pales in comparison to the ones that follow.  And just like Sorcerer’s Stone was necessary in order to get to Deathly Hallows, Tantalize is necessary information so that you can be blown away by the wonderfulness of Diabolical.









Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong

This series made me a Kelley Armstrong biggest fan ever for life!  No one can do paranormal like Kelley Armstrong!  Wow!  This series was amazing!  It was so good that when I was reading the second book, there were some pages missing in my copy and I begged and pleaded until my hubby went out to Wal-mart at 11:00 at night to get me another copy of it because I couldn’t stand to wait until the next day.  (That also says wonderful things about my hubby! ::kisses::)  You might want to check out her adult series also, The Women of the Otherworld.  Kelley Armstrong, you rock my world!



Honorable mention:

Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

I have to give a nod to this book also.  I thought that I was probably going to get another cheesy vampire series trying to ride on the coattails of Twilight.  Oh no, my friends!  This book was hilarious!  It tricked me into reading it with all its tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and then BAM!  I was hooked!  This book is so clever with its mixture of serious and snarky.  It’s pure genius!






So, this is my list of the top ten books/series for fans of Stephenie Meyer. If you're a Twilight fan, let me know if you've read these books and whether you liked them or if there were other books that helped with your Twilight obsession.

3 comments:

  1. Great list. Stephenie Meyer and Twilight resparked my reading frenzy too. I've read The Mortal Instruments series, Blue Bloods series (with the exception of the last two books that are on my TBR list), the Fallen series (well the first two anyway), and the Need series (also the first two). I'm slowly trying to catch up. Some of these others are on my TBR list.
    Top 10 Tuesday post this week. But I hope you'll check it out anyway.

    New follower by the way.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know
    I cheated on my

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and checking out our Stephenie Meyer reading list. SOme of yours I have not read and will look into.

    Yara @ Once Upon a Twilight.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice TTT! I really like the Unearthly series, too. I have taken A Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray out of the library more than once but NEVER read it. I must change this pattern!

    Come see our TTT :-)

    ReplyDelete