Friday, February 14, 2014

Giant catch-up post #1

I think that everyone knows by now that I am really, really behind on reviews for this blog.  I have been reading, I'm just having a hard time sitting down to write reviews.  Mostly because my 6 year old has decided to re-grow her umbilical cord.  But anyway........

What I want to do for a couple of days is give you some very short reviews of some of the books I've been reading that I really enjoyed.  So, without further ado, here is the first one:

Books that you should read right away


It’s Rainbow Rowell.  I don’t really need to say anything else, but if you have not read this book, drop everything that you’re doing, feed your kids cereal for dinner and sit down and read this book.  I really liked Eleanor and Park, but I ADORED Fangirl.  One of my favorite reads of 2013, this book needs to go on your bucket list, people!






Marni Bates has won me over!  This little set of novels, the Smith High series, was just great!  You can read one without reading the others, but it’s nice to read them all in order.  I didn’t really think I would like Notable because it was about Chelsea, the mean girl.  But this may have been my favorite one!  It had this crazy story line that reminded me a lot of Bridget Jones:  The Edge of Reason.  Plus, this light-hearted fun novel is what saved me from my Allegiant depression.  Just sayin’………




This is one of the loveliest books I’ve ever read.  Ever.  It is a re-telling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, and I love the way the author was able to capture the feeling of an Austen novel while still making the story her own.  I could not put this book down.  It was a beautiful, heart-wrenching story that made me smile and cry and it dealt with all those topics Austen addresses so well like class and prejudice.  Just go read it, ‘kay?



This book did not have some grand plot, but what it did have is a truthful and sometimes heart-wrenching look at growing up and first love.  There were some bad reviews for this one, but personally, I think that Lauren Myracle beautifully captured that rush and naiveté of first love.  I felt the butterflies in my stomach with Wren!  The characters were immature at times, but that’s what 18 year olds are like, right?   I sure was.  I just thought this book was very touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment