Friday, April 10, 2015

I'm positively glowing In the Afterlight of this book!


Book: In the Afterlight
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion (Hey Disney, since you own this book, why don’t you get busy turning this series into a movie??)
Source: Purchased then borrowed from my library
My grade: A+++++

Ruby can't look back. Fractured by an unbearable loss, she and the kids who survived the government's attack on Los Angeles travel north to regroup. With them is a prisoner: Clancy Gray, son of the president, and one of the few people Ruby has encountered with abilities like hers. Only Ruby has any power over him, and just one slip could lead to Clancy wreaking havoc on their minds.

They are armed only with a volatile secret: proof of a government conspiracy to cover up the real cause of IAAN, the disease that has killed most of America's children and left Ruby and others like her with powers the government will kill to keep contained. But internal strife may destroy their only chance to free the "rehabilitation camps" housing thousands of other Psi kids.

Meanwhile, reunited with Liam, the boy she would-and did-sacrifice everything for to keep alive, Ruby must face the painful repercussions of having tampered with his memories of her. She turns to Cole, his older brother, to provide the intense training she knows she will need to take down Gray and the government. But Cole has demons of his own, and one fatal mistake may be the spark that sets the world on fire.



Initial Reaction
Oh book, how I love and hate you at the same time! I love you for being so wonderful and I hate you for ending! Why hasn’t everyone in the world read this series????!!!!!!

Cover Story
I love the covers in this series. They’re attractive and they don’t scream paranormal teen romance or anything like that. I can happily read this book in public and proudly display the cover…….as I wax poetic to random strangers about how freaking good this series is!

I do need to add, however, that I’m not crazy about the titles. It’s a little cheesy how you can put them all together. But that’s just a thing……

What’s the Story?
I don't know whether I should leap for joy because this book was so good or weep tears of sadness because the journey is over.........this book was a perfect end to what has turned into one of my favorite series ever. No lie. I try to make every kid that walks in to my library check this series out. I don’t know what I need to do to make them understand! The ones that take my advice come back just as excited as I am!

There are so many things that I loved about this book, but it’s going to be hard to get them here without spoilers, so I may not be able to adequately express the greatness of this book. Alexandra Bracken is a genius. This book has a kick-ass plot with tons of action, but it also has fantastic characters. Ruby and Liam are incredible, but the supporting characters are just as great! The characters were still wonderful in this book and the action was non-stop! I was sitting on the edge of my seat for most of this book. And I loved it!

I don’t really know what else to say here, people. If you have not read this series, run right now to get the first book.

Soundtrack

Hurt by Johnny Cash 


I’m in Here by Sia


Breathe Me by Sia

I Will Remember You by Sarah McLaughlin


You and Me by Lifehouse




We Are Pilots by Shiny Toy Guns




The Final Grade 
My final grade for this book is an A+. I loved this ending and I loved the whole series. I’m serious about Disney getting this thing made as a movie. And I can’t wait to see what Alexandra Bracken has in store next. Although I must say that I wouldn’t cry if she decided to write more about Liam……..I mean, The Darkest Minds world. Just sayin’......




No comments:

Post a Comment